Apo Island is a 74 hectares volcanic island, and 7 kilometers off the southeastern tip of Negros Island and 30 kilometers south of the Negros Oriental capital of Dumaguete in the Philippines. It is quiet a small island and you can easily get around it by foot.
Helpful Apo Island Travel Guide
Places to See & What to Do
Protected Marine Sanctuary.
Unfortunately the Marine Sanctuary was closed for visitors when we visited, TS Pablo just hit the Visayas region and destroyed the marine environment with it’s pounding strong waves. We did get to spend time along it’s shores, and beach late at night, and in the early morning.
Just around the bend along the path going to the marine sanctuary is the Butterfly Park. Unfortunately, we did not have enough time to check this and the lighthouse during our visit.
Dayhike & the Lighthouse
We did not get the chance to take the hike up the hill and inland to see the lighthouse. We were told that you can take an afternoon walk, and see the sunset from there.
Apo Island, and it’s surrounding waters is a protected area. If you want the best out of this experience — snorkel if you won’t swim; swim if you won’t dive; you can also get a PADI certification, if you’re not a diver yet. Under waters surfaces is the best place to be at when you’re here. We just swam, and did snorkeling ofcourse, and a really bad sea urchin incident after.
Accommodations & Where to Stay in Apo Island
Best Time to Visit Apo Island
How To Get To And Around Apo Island
- Support to local community by buying your food, and drinks in the island.
- Apo Island is a community-based tourism destination that encourages visitors to support them through services, and/or products they offer, and sell.
- Visitors are not allowed to put up tents on the beach, or anywhere in the island to sleep in.
- Apo Island has a swamp area, and mosquitoes can come in brutal. Lodging houses offers mosquito nets, but carry with you insect repellents.Electricity is only available at 6AM – 9PM, the house caretaker left our group flashlights to use. You can can ask if you can borrow one if you don’t have flashlight with you.
- There are no ATM or banks in Apo Island, best if you carry just enough cash with you.