Biri Larosa at Biri Island, Northern Samar has intrigued me enough to have up on my dream destinations list. And it did not fail me. Looking back on that trip, I wished I had more time, more prepared, and less recklessly brave. However, I learned a lot from that trip, and it got me to accept the kind of traveler I was. Yes, I would go back to Biri Island, a week stay would not be enough, it deserve a longer visit. Here is a quick, no hassle Biri Island Travel Guide to help you on your Biri Island adventure.
HOW TO GET THERE
Missing the Cebu City – Calbayog, Northern Samar ferry, I had no choice but to take another best route for me. I was lucky enough though to have travelers for friends who knew alternative routes for me to get to Biri Island in one piece. The Cebu – Ormoc – Tacloban – Catarman – Allen route may have not been the quickest way to get there, but it got me there. HERE is a detailed outline how to get to Biri Island from Cebu, southern Luzon, and north-western Mindanao.
BEST TIME TO VISIT
The best time to visit Biri Island would be on the dry months. Check the weather before heading to Biri Island for any weather disturbances. Attempting to visit it on the last quarter of the year will be challenging. The waves at the San Bernardino Strait can be rough, and you might even get wet during the 1H crossing.
WHERE TO EAT
WHERE TO STAY
- Visit the rock formations, and get to swim at their tidal pools.
- Sunrise/sunset at the rock formations, but do bring your flashlight, if you must.
- Mangrove forest visit.
- Scuba Diving in +20 known dive sites.
- Stand up paddle is available in some resorts.
TRANSPORT GUIDE & TOURS
- Tour Guide Fee is at 300PhP/day
- Round Trip Fare of 80PhP/Pax to the rock forations from Poblacion
- You can opt to cancel out the Tour Guide, and asked to be fetched on a particular time when you get back from the rock formations.
- Recommended tour guide Kuya Jun Giray with contact number : +63 928 830 9396
- Electricity is from 12nn – 12mn.
- I had my laundry done there at the resort, laundry was charged at 250PhP, regardless of number, or total weight of garments.
- The eatery will close early, it is best you have your meal early before it closes, or food serving runs out.
- It is best that you wear the right footwear. The rocks can be slippery, and expect to get your feet wet getting to the rock formations.
- Bring you snorkeling set, and/or waterproof camera. There are tidal pools with interesting marine environment, and safe enough for you to swim, and not be bothered by the trashing of the waves from the Pacific.
- Keep your gadgets safe, and bring your dry packs with you.
- No cellular network coverage at the rock formations.